Angeliki Papoulia was born in Athens, Greece. She graduated from Athens University (Theatre Studies) and the Empros Theatre Drama School in 2000. She was the leading actress in Yorgos Lanthimos’s Dogtooth, which won the Prix Un Certain Regard at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival and was nominated for an Academy Award (Best Foreign Language Film) at the 83rd Academy Awards, 2011. She also had the main part in Yorgos Lanthimos’s Alps, which won the Osella for Best Screenplay at the 68th Venice International Film Festival.
In 2004, she founded the blitz theatre group known in Europe for its innovative, devised approach to theatre performances. Blitz were among the candidates for the XIII Europe Prize Theatrical Realities, 2012. To date, she has written, directed and acted in all the group’s performances. She has also been the leading actress in critically acclaimed, mostly classical repertoire, theatre performances in the National Theatre of Greece.
- 2015The Lobster by Yorgos Lanthimos (in post-production)
- 2014A Blast by Syllas Tzoumerkas
- 2011Alps by Yorgos Lanthimos
- 2009Dogtooth by Yorgos Lanthimos
- 2008Well Kept Secrets, Athanasia by Panos Karkanevatos
- 2002Matchbox by Yiannis Economidis